Rosario, the third largest Argentinian city, joins PloneGov
Rosario, an Argentinian city of 1 million inhabitants, joins the PloneGov initiative. This new member highlights PloneGov ability to reach major cities and different continents.
Governmental institutions generally share and face similar difficulties. Rosario's participation in PloneGov, would allow the city to establish tight bonds with other governments. Thus, it would be possible to carry out enriching and innovative projects in close collaboration among all. What's more, individual resources would not be duplicated. Finally, this project would bridge the information gap among the less technologically developed countries.
Rosario has a Free Software policy that has been implemented for
more than 10 years. It has grown dramatically since 2004, when Munix
project was put into practice. Such a project shows the migration of
Desk Applications and operational systems of all users to Free
Software. The main objectives of the
project are the following:
- To promote access to public information to all citizens
- To guarantee to all citizens absolute transparency in handling public information
- To increase the security levels so as to keep confidential information
- To centralize the administration of the information
- To encourage the development of the local software business
- To establish technological independence from suppliers